The retirement of Ancestry's TreeSync® and its replacement with Software MacKiev's FamilySync™ was announced concurrently by both companies.
Software MacKiev introduces FamilySync™
Last year, Ancestry announced that Software MacKiev had acquired Family Tree Maker and that together we would ensure a smooth transition for users. From the beginning, our common goal was to maintain the capability to sync Family Tree Maker trees with online Ancestry Member Trees and we’re pleased to announce that we have done just that. Over the past year, we’ve worked together to co-develop a new syncing technology which Software MacKiev engineers have incorporated into the upcoming Family Tree Maker 2017. The new technology, which Software MacKiev calls FamilySync, will replace Ancestry’s TreeSync® when the new edition is released.
What you should know:
- On March 29, 2017, Ancestry will be permanently retiring TreeSync® which is being replaced by Software MacKiev’s FamilySync.
- Between Wednesday, March 29 and Friday, March 31, 2017 syncing functionality will be unavailable as Software MacKiev and Ancestry deploy the new syncing technology.
- FamilySync will be available only in Software MacKiev’s Family Tree Maker 2017 edition, which is planned for release on March 31, 2017. No other FTM edition will sync with Ancestry trees.
- Ancestry’s search, merge, and Ancestry hints will all work as they do now in FTM 2017 for users who sync with their Ancestry trees. After March 29th these functions will no longer work in any other FTM edition.
- Among the new features of FamilySync is the ability for two or more computers in your home running Family Tree Maker, such as a desktop and a laptop, to sync with the same Ancestry Member Tree.
Pricing and Availability for FTM 2017
Family Tree Maker 2017 for Mac and Windows is available to pre-order today. If you purchased a Software MacKiev edition (FTM 2014.1 or Mac 3.1, both introduced on March 1, 2016) and have signed up for the FTM mailing list, you will receive a free downloadable upgrade by email. If you have NOT purchased a Software MacKiev edition or if you received FTM 2014.1 or Mac 3.1 as a free update, you can pre-order the upgrade from now until FTM 2017 is released for $29.95, and after release for $39.95. The price for those new to Family Tree Maker will be $79.95. All prices are for downloads. DVD and USB copies will be available for an additional cost. FTM 2017 is for both Mac and Windows, and the installer includes a choice of US, Canadian, Australian or UK editions.
Support for Family Tree Maker
Beginning last July, Software MacKiev took over responsibility for supporting Family Tree Maker, providing technical support for all editions back to the original version 1.0 that was released on floppy discs in 1989. Support is available without cost to all FTM users at support.familytreemaker.com, where you will find an extensive collection of useful articles. Software MacKiev also offers personal assistance through their live chat service seven days a week. All questions regarding Family Tree Maker and the transition to new syncing technology should be addressed to Software MacKiev going forward.
To Learn More
For additional information, news and discounted upgrade offers for Family Tree Maker, sign up for the Family Tree Maker mailing list at www.familytreemaker.com.