Answer ID 5313
This article discusses the following:
- Before you begin
- Using the File Migration Utility on Windows 8.1 and later
- Converting Files
The Family Tree Maker File Migration Utility converts Family Tree Maker 2008 - 2012 PC Windows files so they can be opened on a Mac and vice versa. Please note that this application can be run only on a PC.
Within this article we provide instructions on installing this tool directly from this article.
- FTW and FBK files from past versions of Family Tree Maker versions 5-16 do not need to be converted and can be imported directly into Family Tree Maker for Mac. For instructions importing these types of files, click here.
- FBC files and files from versions prior to version 4 need to be converted on a PC using our 2005 SE software. More information regarding this can be found by clicking here.
- FTM and FTMB files created with FTM 2014 can be opened directly in FTM for Mac 3. However, these files need to be converted with the Migration Utility to be opened in earlier editions of FTM for Mac. FTM for Mac 3 and FTM 2014 for windows versions are compatible.
To convert your files, you'll need:
- A convertible Family Tree Maker file. You can only convert files created with the following versions: Family Tree Maker 2008 - 2012 for Windows or Family Tree Maker 2010 - 2011 for Mac.
- The Family Tree Maker File Migration tool installed on a PC.
- The ability to transfer files between a Mac and a PC (this might be a network connection, flash drive, CD or DVD, or FTP site).
If you are using Windows 8.1 or later, you’ll need to perform a few additional steps before you can start using the Family Tree Maker File Migration Utility. This is because more recent versions of Windows have .NET Framework 4.5 installed by default, while Family Tree Maker File Migration Utility requires .NET Framework 2.0. Therefore, you will need to enable .NET Framework 2.0 in your version of Windows. This will not affect .NET Framework 4.5 or harm your computer in any way.
To enable .NET Framework 2.0 on Windows 8.1 or later, follow these steps:
1. On the Start screen, type "windows features” in the search field, and then click Turn Windows features on or off.
2. The Windows Features dialog opens. Wait for the full list of features to appear, which may take up to several minutes. Select the .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) checkbox and click OK.
3. The installation process will begin. When it is finished, update .NET Framework by clicking Download files from Windows Update.
4. When the updating process is complete, the text "Windows completed the requested changes" will appear in the Windows Features dialog. .NET Framework 2.0 is now enabled on your computer and you can proceed to use The Family Tree Maker File Migration Utility.
Download the File Migration Utility by clicking here.
- Double-click the FileMigrationUtilitySetup.
- Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to complete installation. Once installation is complete, the conversion tool will launch automatically.
With the File Migration Utility open:
- Select a conversion option. You can convert a Windows file to a Mac file or a Mac file to a Windows file.
- Click the Browse button to locate the Family Tree Maker file you want to convert. You can choose between .ftm & .ftmb files or .ftmm & .ftmd files depending on the option you selected.
- You can enter a name for the tree in the Output tree field and also select a location for the new tree.
- If you want to include media items linked to the tree, make sure the Include media files checkbox is selected.
Note: If you are converting a .ftm or .ftmm file, the utility will search for the tree’s Media folder. If the tool locates the folder, your media items will be included in the new tree. If you’ve moved the Media folder, the utility may not be able to locate it. To ensure that your new tree contains your media items, you might want to convert a .ftmb or .ftmd backup file instead of a .ftm or .ftmm file (backup files already include your media items).
- Click Create File. A message tells you when the conversion is complete. Click Close.
With the File Migration Utility closed:
- Click the Start menu and select Control Panel.
- Open Add or Remove Programs.
- Windows Vista & 7 Users – open Programs and Features.
- Select FTM File Migration Utility and click the Remove button.
- Windows Vista & 7 Users – click Uninstall from the top.
- When prompted, click the Yes button to remove the FTM File Migration Utility from your computer.
- When the uninstall completes, click Finish and then close the Control Panel window.
Can I run this tool on my Mac?
This application can be run only on a PC.
Does this tool convert Mac files too?
Yes. You can use this tool to convert files from Family Tree Maker 2010 for Mac so they can be opened in Family Tree Maker 2010, 2011, or 2012 (for Windows).
Will I lose any data in my tree when I convert it?
Because of formatting changes, Family tree Maker 2011 files that are converted into Mac files will not include saved charts, reports, and books.