Importing an Existing File in Family Tree Maker
1. Click the Plan button on the main toolbar.
2. Click the New Tree tab.
3. Click Import a tree from an existing file.
4. Click Browse.
5. Browse to the location of the family tree file, highlight it, and then click OK.
6. If necessary, change the name for the file in the New tree name field.
7. Click Continue. When the import is complete, you will receive an Import Complete window; click Close to start using the tree.
Importing an existing file into Family Tree Maker 2014
1. Select the Plan workspace from the main toolbar, then click the New Tree tab.
2. Click the Import an Existing Tree button, then select Browse to locate the file.
3. Browse to the location of the family tree file, highlight it, and then click OK.
4. If necessary, change the name for the file in the New tree name field.
5. Click Continue. When the import is complete, you will receive an Import Complete window. Click Close to start using the tree.
IMPORTANT: Family Tree Maker supports the following types of genealogical files:
Family Tree Maker Files - .ftw, .fbk, .ftm
Personal Ancestral Files - .paf
Gedcom Files - .ged
Master Genealogist Files - .pjc
Ultimate Family Tree Files - .uft
Sierra Generations Files - .uds (Family Tree Maker 2011 only)
Legacy Files - .leg, .fdb
Note: Files saved in Legacy 8.0 format cannot be imported into Family Tree Maker. However, in the Legacy 8.0 software you can choose to export files in Legacy 7.0 format, and this will allow you to import them into Family Tree Maker.
Family Tree Maker 2008-2014 does not support .FBC or Family Tree Maker 1.0 - 4.0 filetypes. To import these files, you will need to use the Family Tree Maker 2005 Starter Edition as a go-between. For information on importing unsupported Family Tree Maker files, click here.